Home > How-To, Note to Remember > Windows Installer Error 1719 (Windows 7 x64)

Windows Installer Error 1719 (Windows 7 x64)

January 22nd, 2011

I was recently trying to install SolidWorks 2011 on Windows 7 x64 and it failed. Typically I’d expect problems with XP x64, but not with Windows 7 with .Net and Windows Installer all part of the OS.

Diagnosis

The SolidWorks Installation Manager provided a link to the Installation Logs ( C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\SolidWorks\Installation Logs\2011 SP0 ). Looking at the latest txt file ( SummaryIMLog_20110.txt ) I saw “Installation Error 1719″ and “Installation Error 1603″.

I also looked at the Windows Event Viewer, and saw the failed installation and the Error 1719. See image below.

Windows Event Viewer Logs showing the exact 1719 SolidWorks Installation Error

First Attempted Solution

• As Windows Installer v5 is part of Windows 7, it would not show up in Add/Remove Programs to do a repair (as I would have done for XP).
  • Make sure that the Windows Installer service is running  (Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools -> Services)
  • As on the SW KB, I had tried registering and reregistering Windows Installer.
    Command Prompt:
    msiexec.exe /unregister
    msiexec /regserver
    C:\Windows\Syswow64\Msiexec /regserver
  • I even browsed directly to the SolidWorks setup (bypassing the Installation Manager), but it immediately threw up the 1719 error and stopped.

This image shows the exact path to the Manual Setup for SolidWorks 2011 x64 bypassing the Installation Manager.

Final Solution to 1719 Installation Error

1. Start, then Run, then type regedit
  2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENT CONTROL SET\SERVICES\MSIserver\WOW64
  3. Right click on WOW64, then select Modify
  4. Set Value Data to 0 (mine was set at 1) and Base should be Hexadecimal
    (see below image for screenshot)
  5. Close the Registry Editor
  6. Reboot the PC
    OR
    Command Prompt: net stop msiserver    and net start msiserver
  7. Install SolidWorks

Reference

The Windows START -> Run option in Windows 7. Note the run box is now the search box in Windows 7.Screenshot of the Registry showing the 1719 solution which worked.

How-To, Note to Remember , ,

1. Narayanachari
    March 1st, 2011 at 07:03 | #1

Hi

Thank very much.

This worked really good to solve the Windows installer error 1719 .

Cheers

Achari

2. Kapoor
    August 22nd, 2011 at 15:05 | #2

Hi,

I have the same error. I tried ur final solution. But I did not find WOW64 under msiserver. Please do help on this error 1719.

Thanks,
    Kapoor

3. August 22nd, 2011 at 23:41 | #3

Kapoor: You must not be on x64 of Windows if you cannot see the WOW64.
    Make sure the “Windows Installer” service is running (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services).
    Also see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

4. Lako
    August 29th, 2011 at 15:38 | #4

Kapoor, I’ve the same problem! Can’t find WOW64 under msiserver. My windows 7 is certainly 64 bit.
    Windows installer is running.

5. Veryshinything
    December 1st, 2011 at 10:29 | #5

Anyone else with this: I had the same problem and couldn’t find the WOW64 under msiserver. If you look down another 10 places there’s a solidworks license manager, I found it under there. Still not installing properly, but there’s one error out of the way. Thanks so much for the fix!

6. yael
    December 26th, 2011 at 13:53 | #6

i did the final solution but in the end the command prompt wrote
    access denied
    error 5

\:
    what shall i do?

7. January 3rd, 2012 at 20:20 | #7

yael: You may need to run the “Command Prompt” as an Administrator.
    Go to START -> All Programs -> Accessories -> (right-click on) Command Prompt -> Run as adminstrator
    Then you can enter the commands in the Command Prompt and you shouldn’t get the access denied.

8. Catherine
    January 4th, 2012 at 14:01 | #8

Please help! I keep getting the Error 1719 message when I try and download Microsoft 2010. I have tried to follow your steps and I get the same problem. I can’t find the WOW64 on the list, it is listed however as data on the Image Path?

9. January 4th, 2012 at 14:19 | #9

@Catherine: If you don’t have the WOW64 listed, then you have a different problem causing the 1719 error. You will have to google and search for other possible solutions.

10. Becca
    January 15th, 2012 at 23:59 | #10

Thank you, thank you!! I tried everything and as a non-techie was scared to touch the registry, but it was a piece of cake and I was able to finally install my printer software!

11. DL
    January 24th, 2012 at 23:01 | #11

If WOW64 doesn’t exist make sure the ImagePath in msiserver is “%systemroot%\system32\msiexec.exe /V”. Mine was “SysWOW64″ instead of “system32″. Changing fixed it for me.

12. Diego
    March 20th, 2012 at 00:39 | #12

Hi ! i didnt found the WOW64 at msiserver. what should i do ? i have the same error when im installing solidworks :S

13. Imran Ali
    December 5th, 2012 at 19:25 | #13

hello,
    i have dell inspiron N5030 with windows 7 home premium.
    eriler my internet explorer 32bit run quit well but last week or so its not working only IE 64 bit working and problem is i not able download flash player.
    waiting for reply
    thanks

14. Basavaraju
    February 3rd, 2013 at 07:00 | #14

Wow great job. Worked like a charm. Even I could not find correct solution in Microsoft support. Error is disappeared after making Registry change as suggested above. Many Thanks.

15. ali
    September 22nd, 2013 at 16:46 | #15

hey guys

i just had the same problem and i tried most of the proposed solutions in the web, particularly those by microsoft. but none worked for me. i came up with the error when installing adobe acrobat 8 professional. the one thing that just worked for me was installing the program in compatibility mode: my OS is W7 (32 bit) and i installed the program in compatibility with XP SP2. i’m not sure if i had tried this at the time i came up with the problem, but now it did it. i’m almost sure that u’ve done this at the beginning, but if you have not, give it a try.
    btw, tnx to all who have contributed to this post.

best of luck