Home > How-To, Misc. > Enable RealView on gaming Graphics Cards

Enable RealView on gaming Graphics Cards

October 28th, 2011

RealView (top) and No RealView (bottom)

RealView Graphics in SolidWorks (View drop-down -> Display -> RealView Graphics) makes your models look visually impressive on the screen. You get to see the materials and floor reflections in real-time, without having to render the model in PhotoView.

There are certified graphics cards recommended by SolidWorks (ATI FireGL and nVidia Quadro ranges) which have this RealView functionality, however they can be expensive (as they are specifically for CAD Applications, as opposed to Gaming). In saying that, you can get a cheap RealView certified graphics card for ~€125.

Gaming Graphics Card used

A while back, I got a Medion MD8855 computer in Aldi, which had an ATI Radeon™ HD 5670 graphics card with 1024 MB memory. As expected after installing and opening SolidWorks, the RealView graphics icon (View -> Display -> RealView) was greyed out. Also, under Tools -> System Options -> Performance, “Use Software OpenGL” was unticked, as it should be, unless you have an onboard or very poor graphics card.

RealView Icon

Software OpenGL Option

Enable RealView Graphics

If you google, there are two main methods. One is using RivaTuner to adjust your graphics card/drivers, saying your graphics card is actually a ATI FireGL or nVidia Quadro. Another is to modify SolidWorks with a RealHack exe program (which edits the registry settings for SolidWorks). The RealHack program worked perfectly for me with SolidWorks 2011 SP5 x64 on x64 Windows.

1. Download the RealHack program
    (google realhack rar download) (local copy)
  2. Make sure SolidWorks is closed
  3. Run the exe and click ATI or NVIDIA.
  4. Open SolidWorks. Check for the RealView icon.
    (I didn’t have to reboot the PC)

Note: This didn’t work for me previously on SolidWorks 2010. If it doesn’t work, then there is not much you can do, but to research the references and find out more information. Links to reference websites for RealHack are Ref1, Ref2, Ref3

Background

Using process monitor, you can see what realhack does. It appears to (only) add entries to the registry. There is also a RealHack 2.0 available which supposedly works for SolidWorks 2012 (which has Ambient Occlusion). Again, you can find this with google (local copy). Presumably this app enters different registry entries depending on what your current graphics card is. Of course SW may change things in the future and this app may not work. It is surprising however as to why SolidWorks doesn’t allow RealView to work on more graphics (gaming or other) cards.

How-To, Misc. ,

1. BH
    April 24th, 2013 at 02:01 | #1

@TT
    Did you finally got it to work? I am having the same problem

2. May 22nd, 2013 at 01:13 | #2

Working closely with SolidWorks and users like you, we’ve developed advanced tools that mimic the real-life manipulation of how you use your models on a daily basis. As a result, you get a more accurate representation of how SolidWorks will perform based on which GPU is used.The latest Quadro® graphics cards – based on the NVIDIA Kepler ™ architecture – provide exceptional performance in all SolidWorks design modes. Significant changes have been made in SolidWorks 2013 to better leverage the GPU for edge display. You will experience this difference in component design where you use edges the most all the way to large assembly design where turning on edges is now a realistic, real-time performance display choice. So, go ahead and enable Shaded with Edges, Shadows or Full Scene Anti-Aliasing (FSAA) – and create your visions without limitations.

3. Shafie Mukhre
    September 4th, 2013 at 20:34 | #3

Its does work perfectly with my solidworks 2013 on windows 8 64bit. with Radeon HD 6720G2. but the realtime view does seems too shiny which makes it un easy to me. but hey!it is a good software! :D

4. Lawrence
    December 23rd, 2013 at 18:14 | #4

I am running and nVidia Quadro NVS 295 with Solidworks 2013. No matter what I do I cannot get realview to work. I have tried realhack 2 realhack 3.5 with no success. Any help would be appreciated.

5. January 5th, 2014 at 21:54 | #5

@Lawrence: I don’t think NVidia Quadro NVS cards have good support for 3D. They are more for business 2D graphics IMO. Geforce and Quadro have the same chips. Quadro NVS are different altogether. Don’t think it’ll work. Might be better to get a Geforce or a Quadro graphics card.

6. Lawrence
    January 6th, 2014 at 00:02 | #6

@sburke

sburk, I fear you may be right. One thing I was thinking of trying was downloading a new driver of a card that is supported. Do you know if its possible to use a different driver for video cards?

And thanks for replying.

7. January 6th, 2014 at 00:16 | #7

@Lawrence: Do a google for “rivatuner” and “solidWorks”. You may be able to modify a graphics card driver, but there will be a lot of work in it, and I’d still be unsure about the NVS card. Good luck with it.

8. Erick
    February 14th, 2014 at 02:15 | #8

It works on my GeForce GTX 660 Ti – Windows 7 – SW 2010

Thanks !

9. mohamad banfateme
    March 9th, 2014 at 19:16 | #9

my graphic card is nvidia geofrce 740 and I used realhach I didn’t work. still graphic view in unable !!!!!!

10. dhaneesh
    July 4th, 2014 at 08:22 | #10

I am using nvidia geforce GT 740M along with solidworks2014 in windows 8.But i cant get rendering view in my system. when i click rendering option just it come and vanished….why is this?can u give me any suggetion

Comment pages