This page contains all the quick tips I have come across and hope to remember. This page will be updated constantly, as opposed to creating a new post for small notes.
- eDrawings: Open an Assembly. Even if there is no Exploded View/Configuration, press “CTRL+e” on the keyboard for an automatic exploded view.
- Double left clicking on a section line in a drawing, flips the direction of the section.
- Windows Key + Pause/Break Key = System Properties in Windows
- Debug SolidWorks with Microsoft Visual Studio: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a329t4ed(VS.80).aspx
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\currentversion\image file execution options
Create New Key called SLDWORKS.exe
Create New String Value called debugger with the value vsjitdebugger.exe
Make sure vsjitdebugger.exe is in your System Path. If not set it in Environment Variables inside System Properties.
Start SolidWorks (or double click on a solidworks part file)
- Open a PDF in SolidWorks. Convert to Sketch lines: rename document.pdf to document.ai, and go File -> Open in SolidWorks. This may not work with all pdfs. [Reference]
- Export SolidWorks Parts/Assemblies to Google Sketchup. Save as ACIS version 10. Open in Draftsight using ‘importsat’ command. Save DWG. Open DWG in Sketchup. [Ref]
Windows Tips & Tricks
- Delete the Print queue/spooler in Windows:
stop the Print Spooler service (Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Services)
del /q %SystemRoot%\system32\spool\printers\*.*
[ reference: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1022016.htm ]
Set 3GB Switch on x32 bit Operating Systems
BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 3072
Edit boot.ini in notepad
Add in /3GB
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=”Microsoft Windows XP Professional” /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /3GB
SolidWorks Simulation Notes, and Training Exercises (external link)
This University website has some useful notes, and information on learning SolidWorks Simulation FEA. It contains information from a previous Cosmos Companion website also.
Major Release Numbering for SW
SW2011 = 19
SW2010 = 18
SW2009 = 17
SW2008 = 16
SW2007 = 15
SW2006 = 14